Debby Kinman-Ford, M.S. Ed.
It’s time for the winter holidays and we are still in the middle of a pandemic. Some of you are working remotely, some in person, some doing a hybrid of both. So how do you recognize your staff at the holidays when money is tight and social distancing is a must? Well here are a few ways to get you thinking…
- Contact your local massage therapy school and look for someone needing certification hours and hire them to do 10 min. hand or foot massages outdoors. This will probably cost about $150 for a staff of 30.
- Set up a hot chocolate/coffee bar in your staff kitchen or better yet take a cart around to your staff and serve them up right in their rooms. Low cost, high appreciation.
- Have a pajama day at school for the kids and staff. Almost everyone enjoys wearing their pjs to work and it bring a smile at no cost.
- Borrow a karaoke machine and have a holiday song night. You could even do this virtually! I am part of one group that begins and ends each meeting with a singalong to a song reflecting the theme of the meeting. It’s hokey, fun and engaging all at the same time.
- Have a staff dreidel tournament. This could also be done remotely. The winner gets a bag of chocolate gelt.
This year is no different from others despite the pandemic, its still about appreciation, gratefulness, and recognition. Its always about building a team and instilling a sense of community within your school. So, bring on the ugly sweaters, holiday cheer and appreciation for the miracles of the season. Happy holidays!